Setting up network share for storage

For my new server I’m looking to leverage my freenas to provide the storage. I’m wondering if there is any instructions to get me started on how to go about attaching a CIFS share as a storage destination for recordings? If not I’m sure i can googleFU my way through setting up a CIFS mount and play around until i figure it out.

But one scenario im wondering about is that in the event of a power outage, my freenas will go down before the VM hosting bluecherry goes down, and likewise come back up after. Will the share being offline before bluecherry or online after potentially cause any issues to the system hanging or any other undesirable issue?

you need to specify the mount directory and bluecherry permissions before you mount the nas storage to that directory. if the nas goes offline while the bluecherry server is recording the records will go to that folder on the local drive and once the nas is back online the recordings will be invisable to you until the nas is unmounted again.

i had an issue a while ago with that problem, the nas went offline and then the recordings filled up 95 percent of the operating system drive. the nas was remounted and then i had to stop bluecherry, unmount the nas and then remove the recordings as root then remount the nas before i could restart bluecherry.

Try this:

mkdir -p /media/nas-storage    
umount /media/nas-storage
chown bluecherry.bluecherry /media/nas-storage
chmod 755 /media/nas-storage
BCUID="$(id -u bluecherry)"
mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD,uid=$BCUID,gid=$BCUID,dir_mode=0755,file_mode=0755 //IPADDRESS/PATH /media/nas-storage

HAHA!! “GoogleFU”…love it.