My New PC Build

In the interest of not taking up peoples time - I don’t think I need help here. Just kind of excited!

My CPU should arrive in the mail today. I spent almost $450 on a computer build. I’m saving a bit by reusing my fairly new hard drives and 10 month old Power Supply.

Parts I am using:

I’ll be getting more RAM as Time goes on, perhaps even an M.2 SSD.

I’ll be running ProxMox with PCIe Passthrough.

Nice, this looks good.

Hello, yes a very nice build. A long time ago I switched over to just buying used servers, mostly the HP gen 6, 7, currently Gen 8 and most of the DL380 Series. Since I use the ONVIF features of the cameras I find the Server CPU usage not so taxing and don’t think I have seen over 10 gig ram used. So down the road if you ever want to look at server hardware, that is an inexpensive way to go… Years ago I was going to buy a dual CPU motherboard and all that and build my power machine that way and was looking over $2,000. My local computer shop would get used servers in and sell for $100 to $250 and they already had dual CPU, some ram and all hardware RAID and sometimes drives. I am currently running mine on a HP DL380 Gen 7. Dual Quad Core, 48 Gigs and the OS drive is RAID 5 with online Spare and then I have 2 new 5TB drives mirrored. Plus the server has 4 built in 1 gig Ethernet ports. I have Port Bonding or ether bonding, with a 4 gig Ethernet connection to the server. I have 20 I.P. cameras in use at the moment. I think in the past with a single 1 gig Ethernet I was missing recordings and having “network” overload issues. But it is always fun building new computers and servers. Right now I am in the process of virtualization of the DVR system. Will see how well that goes. Still using 5400 RPM spinning disks, but in the ESXI 7 server I have the VM exclusive to its own data store made up of the two 2TB hard drives that are mirrored, so its the only VM on the set of disks and have a 10 gig Ethernet connection to the server. Glad you are excited building the computer / server from scratch. Feel free to reach out to me if you want to know more about some of the things I do. I will try to put a post out about how my VM concept works.
Chad P

Chad,
As a Repair tech, I am very familiar with tearing apart computers and putting them back together. I’ve also built my fair share of computers in my day.

I used to have 2 DL380 Gen 5s. Got rid of them when they were too old. I just recently sold my SuperMicro X8DT3-LN4F board and a case, etc. Despite its age, it was a great work horse with 2x 6-core CPUs. I had added 64GB server RAM. It could go up to 192 GB if desired. As great as it was, it was big, noisy, used too much juice, and made my office sooooo hot, even with the A/C running 24/7.

My 2 servers are running Proxmox Virtualization Edition. They are technically desktop class hardware, but I’m running them as servers. I don’t need tons of power. Running 2 VMs and 2 LXC containers on each system currently.

–Aaron

Hello, Cool. Yes I have that same issue, with a rack with 5 to 6 servers and large Cisco 3750X switches, heat and the electric bill. That is why I am trying to visualize as much as I can. I have worked with Virtual Box, a little of MS Hyper V, Seen Zen and the Vmware workstation and their ESXI. I will have to check out Proxmox Virtualization. Sounds interesting. I usually pay the $200 or so for the VMUG permium Membership to get all the VMware software and 1 year license keys to run my lab and things at home.
Thank you for writing back.
Chad

Proxmox Virtualization, I just looked at that and I will have to put that on my other DL380 Gen 8 and see. That is a dual 6 core if I remember, and when I got it is had 160 Gig ram. I have about 6.8 TB on it so that will be a good place to try the Proxmox Virtualization, and I ready about their backup software and things. Thank you so much for telling me about Proxmox Virtualization.
Chad

Yes, I like how I don’t have to buy a license for my Proxmox systems. For a large company or large deployment, it is definitely better to buy licenses. For a small home lab like mine, though, it’s not mission critical. I have a 3rd system which is a lower-power/older AMD system (Dual-core Athlon-64, Socket AM3) running their Proxmox backup server. That one runs best on “bare-metal” hardware, and doesn’t virtualize well, as if you try to virtualize it, and the host goes down, you end up with a “catch-22” situation.

I second Proxmox. We use it for spinning up LXC containers to test with very little CPU usage or overhead.