After experimenting with Bluecherry Server 2.8.8 on real hardware and the 3.0.1 beta in a VM (documented elsewhere in this forum), I’ve installed v3.0.1 on a Z8350 mini PC with 2 GB memory running a minimal installation of Debian 10.4.0. This thread documents the issues seen so far.
On first startup of the server, /var/log/bluecherry.log records:
Jul 21 19:25:57 z83 bc-server: I(): Auto-detected VAAPI device: /dev/dri/renderD128 Jul 21 19:25:57 z83 bc-server: W(): VAAPI device /dev/dri/renderD128 does not exist or is not readable to bluecherry, hardware acceleration is not available
Looking at the device, I see:
crw-rw---- 1 root render 226, 128 Jul 21 19:16 /dev/dri/renderD128
So fix the problem with:
chown root:bluecherry /dev/dri/renderD128
and restart the server:
service bluecherry restart
This time, the log records:
Jul 21 19:39:18 z83 bc-server: I(): Initialized render node /dev/dri/renderD128 for VAAPI hardware acceleration
so that looks promising.
I added the first IP camera and the log recorded:
Jul 21 19:43:20 z83 bc-server: I(1/Front drive Sonoff 1): Setting up device Jul 21 19:43:24 z83 bc-server: I(1/Front drive Sonoff 1): Stream started: Video: h264 (Main), yuv420p(progressive), 1920x1080, 1/90000(s) 1/20(c) Jul 21 19:43:24 z83 bc-server: I(1/Front drive Sonoff 1): Switching to new recording schedule 'continuous'
Going into LIveView, video from the camera appeared for a few seconds, then froze. Nothing was recorded in the log. “Return to Admin panel” and back to LiveView resulted in the video appearing and running for several minutes before freezing again.
The log recorded:
Jul 21 19:51:40 z83 bc-server: W(1/Front drive Sonoff 1): Likely timestamping error. Ignoring.
Video remained frozen, so I tried Admin panel > LiveView > Admin panel > LiveView
several times but video failed to appear. Nothing in the log.
I restarted the Bluecherry server and LiveView started working again. This time, it continued working indefinitely.
Conclusions so far:
Minor bug with ownership of the renderD128 device.
LiveView works sometimes but not consistently, even with just one camera configured. Restarting the server seems to fix LiveView freezing or not appearing.
Everything else I’ve tried works perfectly.