Bugs/fixes/suggestions for running docker image on ubuntu 20

Good Morning all,
first of all congrats to all the hard work on bluecherry! this looks very promising!
second here is some feedback on my experience trying installing bluecherry on ubuntu 20.

1. install issues on ubuntu 20
for some reasons I couldn’t get the install script to work at all, I did try both stable and unstable installs but it kept failing with some non-sensical error at bluecherry --configure…

2. install issues with docker image after failed local install
when I tried to install the docker image (after my failed local installs despite trying to purge the local installs) the docker install would also fail… after a bit of troubleshooting, it seems that the main issue was due to the fact that the .env file tried to create the bluecherry user as 1000:1000 but the local install had created it already as:
uid=998(bluecherry) gid=997(bluecherry) groups=997(bluecherry),29(audio),44(video)
and didn’t clean up properly (I did try to apt-get remove --prune)

3. BUG: docker install issue: /media/bluecherry
I would suggest to update the docker readme to mention something like:
before starting,

• a) create the b
    luecherry user, create a folder to store video owned by bluecherry,
  • b) update the .env file accordingly:
    BLUECHERRY_GROUP_ID=997
    BLUECHERRY_USER_ID=998
  • c) update the docker-compose.yml
    replace “/media/bluecherry” with the path to your video storage location chosen above(make sure it is owned by the bluecherry user)*

4. BUG: docker timezone is in UTC
suggestion: modify the docker-compse.yml to reuse the system’s local timezone settings by adding the following volumes (on both db and bluecherry)
volumes:
- “/etc/timezone:/etc/timezone:ro”
- “/etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro”
I am not sure what the TZ setting in .env does because it seems to be ignored in the docker install…

5. SUGGESTION: allow docker install to chosse stable vs unstable installs
In fact I wasn’t planning to run the beta version 3 of bluecherry… it is just the one installed apparently…
would it be possible to provide instructions to install the stable version?

*6. BUG: emails don’t seem to work (using gmail smtp).
the test seems to fail without much details (I think this is already reported somewhere else but not sure how to fix it for a docker image)

7. SUGGESTION: add ability to trigger any arbitrary script with arguments like camera name, time stamp, group, etc… on event
Interestingly enough, this might even provide a quick workaround to the sending email issue…

I can confirm that the fix in seems to #4 work. All of my recordings had a time offset of 8 hours. Kind of annoying before! (I’m in California).

1 Like

*6. BUG: emails don’t seem to work (using gmail smtp).
the test seems to fail without much details (I think this is already reported somewhere else but not sure how to fix it for a docker image)

#6 is fixed and scheduled for the next release.

I’ll look at the others